Friday, May 13, 2011

Gender Neutral


This is a quilt I'm finishing up for some friends who just had a baby, and who decided to be all contrarian-like and not find out the gender beforehand. Trying to make something for a baby not knowing if it's going to be a girl or a boy is an interesting exercise, because it basically brings you face to face with the fact that in our culture, too pink is a much bigger sin than too blue. And it really shouldn't be like that. I'm not sure I can picture it ever not being that way...a world in which you're just as likely to see a little boy with an older sister dressed in this as a hand-me-down as a little girl dressed in this...but I'm starting to accept the limits of my own vision a little more. Maybe things will change, and my vision will just have to catch up.

In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with the way this quilt turned out, and I like the pink in it even though I've always been a little anti-pink personally (just an aesthetic choice or part of never wanting to be too girly?...I'll never know). And it turns out it will be for a little boy. So there you go.

1 comment: