Friday, January 28, 2011

On alcohol...


Truth is, I drink very little. But I love the idea of getting drunk. And I love this song. The thing about drinking is that it is a way demarcate the responsible part of your life from the leisure part of your life. When you have a beer (or whatever else you prefer), you are no longer working. You are no longer doing your best to be polite and civil. You are committing to staying in once place for a while. You are relaxing. And if you can have two or three, and get to that point where your voice is a little louder than it should be and you're sure you're wittier than you really are...then that's a very rare moment in adult life. Clearly, it's ok if you forget to go to bed at a decent time. It's even ok if you don't exactly feel 100% by morning. And whoever it is you're drinking with, you've decided not to worry about saying something stupid or impolitic or whatever.

Obviously, none of these things would be such treats if you drank all the time. An escape from adult responsibilities is only valuable to someone whose life is otherwise full of them. Right now though, as I'm scrambling to get things together for a rather major change of scenery (I'm moving!), I am very much looking forward to the next time I can get drunk. Who wants to get drunk with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment