Thursday, August 11, 2011

Any way you slice it...

California is getting redistricted! Republicans are angry because their non-partisan panel couldn't find a way to make California a Republican state, or even as Republican of a state as it was ten years ago. Also apparently, this next election cycle I may end up with a new congressman. The new lines merge two Central Valley districts, and there are rumors that my representative may retire. The new guy is still a Blue Dog though, so who knows how much change that will actually mean. I'm also not sure what will happen to McNerney, the Democrat who represents Morgan Hill & parts of the Valley right now and who very narrowly survived the 2010 midterms. Hopefully his district hasn't changed too drastically, as far as I can tell he is a thoroughly good guy with a good record on the environment.

Also, I would like to point out that this is all information courtesy of the local news, which I now keep up with...for the first time in my life. I don't really have much by way of comparison, but the Merced Sun Star seems to be a very decent little local paper. It does kind of leave me with a creepy feeling that people are getting murdered constantly around here, but I think that's more a function of local news than the actual murder rate. I mean crime is somewhat high...but it was in San Francisco too. Living there I just had no idea what was going on unless it was within earshot of my apartment.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the Merced Sun Star being a decent small city paper. And I definitely agree about it seeming like there are an overabundance of shootings in Merced. The article about the Merced 6th grader who helped save another child from drowning was such a welcome piece of good news. Their listing of what produce is in season is great to follow as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really been enjoying the articles that help me figure out the separate little communities around here a little better. This one a few months back was especially good: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2011/06/24/1944121/sense-of-community-returns-to.html#storylink=misearch and I thought this was pretty cool too: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2011/07/30/1987713/sarah-lim-the-state-land-act-and.html#storylink=misearch

    ReplyDelete